I trained originally as a fashion designer and worked as such for five years before realising it wasn’t for me and that I needed to act! During a stint working as a dresser for the Royal Shakespeare Company, I found my tribe and decided to take an acting course. I never looked back and have spent the last 25 years working as an actor, director and vocal coach. I have produced and directed theatrical shows and run drama clubs, developing workshops for educational settings. I have also performed in and produced theatre for the Edinburgh and London fringes, blah, blah, blah…
No, that’s not my Hero’s Journey, that’s my biog!! Me, in a nutshell, does it tell you anything about me, really?
A little of my journey maybe, but nothing about what makes me unique. Why I’m the best person to do what I do in the way that I do it. My history and experiences are my USP, my unique selling point. Nobody has lived my joy or my trauma.
Through the process of talking to therapists and coaches about my own experiences and through writing about my childhood and my journey I am beginning to understand why I am the person I am and why I do what I do.
So here is the REAL biog, my Hero’s Journey…
- Grew up in North London. (Ordinary world)
- At 25 – ectopic pregnancy, followed by a further four miscarriages (stuck, refusing the call to adventure)
- At 28, breast cancer (faced mortality demons)
- Chemo and radiotherapy (accepted the quest to find the power within).
- At 38 – Daughter born after thirteen years of trying (The REWARD, the elixir!)
- At 53 – widowed (DEATH, scary); my daughter was 14
- NOW – Return home – grounded, empathetic, compassionate, resilient and grateful (Transformed)
Some pretty traumatic stuff there, I know, but I have no regrets. I would never have chosen for these things to have happened, but the experiences have made me the person I am today; strong, resilient, tolerant, kind. Passionate about helping others to show up confidently.